Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Come on United - Read the writing on the wall

Living in Denver I am constantly having to fly somewhere to get my job done. That means a weekly commute to the bay area and countless international trips. United has wonderful and expensive service that covers plenty of the domestic US. There isn't really anywhere I need to go that I can't fly direct from Denver with one notable exception - anything International.

As a new resident of the City and County of Denver I suddenly care a lot more about the airport as my tax revenues support it (in additions to my revenue dollars as a passenger). After hearing United gripe about how complicated/expensive and difficult international service would be in Denver, I was shocked to hear that Lufthansa (an airline I don't particularly love) was now offering an ADDITIONAL service to Germany (Munich to be specific).


Lufthansa adds Denver-Munich route


This means that Denver is now served by 2 international airlines (Lufthansa and BA) with 3 non-stop Europe flights. This begs an obvious question - Where is United?

I would argue that United's lack of an international presence in Denver is holding back the Denver economy. I am glad to see that Lufthansa and BA both get it.

So I question Denver's city government, when will you start to penalize United for not supporting Denver the way they should? We gave them generous packages when DIA first opened, suffered during their bankruptcy and endured their crappy service during all of the labor strikes. Shouldn't they be giving something back in the form of enhanced and expanded service to the citizens of Denver?

If we can't handle the political fallout from penalizing United, let's do something better and convince Frontier to expand to international service to Europe or Asia. Surely the more international business we can get into Denver the better.

Get the message United, either find an International route to Denver from Asia or Europe or figure out that "It's time to Fly"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home