Friday, June 24, 2005

Missing Wallets Suck

I returned from my UK/Germany trip last night through Dallas with a stop over on my way back to San Jose.

After being awake for the entire trip (thats the way to beat jet lag, lemme tell ya) I was a slight bit exhausted so I didn't really notice when some guy bumped into me outside the admirals club as I was leaving to head to my gate. Turns out, I probably should have noticed.

Upon arriving in San Jose I went to go find my wallet and replace my euros and pounds with dollars. No matter how much you try, Starbucks wont take Euros...go figure. When I discovered my wallet was missing I retraced my steps and figured out that I last had it in Dallas at the admirals club because I bought a bottle of water for my trip. I had to wait until this morning to call because it was too late to reach the Dallas club last night.

This morning, after I called, they suggested that I may have been pickpocketed. I dismissed this idea at first as just typical AA laziness, but then the lady described in creepy detail the look of one of the known pickpocketers. Turns out I wasn't the only victim yesterday.

It dawned on me (it shouldnt take this much I know) that identity and the whole process of managing a persons identiy is really the next big "problem".

Imagine the steps you need to take if you loose your wallet (and this is just mine):
(1) Stop and replace credit cards
(2) Get a replacement drivers license
(3) Get replacement social security cards/health insurance
(4) Get replacement corporate phone card
(5) Get replacement frequent travel cards (air, hotel, car, name it)

etc.......

So imagine the solutions to these problems:
(I know people will bitch about civil liberties but I am sure the system can fix those problems)

(1) Smart Card technology that "carries" your multiple identies in "one" card
(2) Merge your identites into one place (your smart card) then ATM/POS systems ASK which one to use.... do you buy groceries on your visa, m/c, amex etc...

(3) Let your smart card be an "access" token for information about you. There is no need to carry information, smart encryption (public/private key) should allow your smart card to present your identity (via PKI) to a system (such as the Colorado DMV) to allow THEM to search for YOU. If you loose your license, simply get a new smart card. This method would fix SO many problems.

If you loose your ID, you get a new smart card and new encryption pairing. You replace one card instead of many, your identity isn't tied to a collection of plastic, its tied to a real "identity" that can easily be voided if lost.

I point this out mainly because as of right now, I have no credit cards and none of the identity pieces needed to run my life. Lucky for me, I kept my UK passport seperately so that will be my identity for now!


The real question is how do YOU define identity?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home