Sunday, December 11, 2005

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten

I am currently working on a plan to work with and support our ISV and IHV partners in a couple of new strategy directions we are working on.

This actually started as a very boring project because I didn't see where the real challenges actually were. Developing strategy is already a complicated process when you can own the strategy development and implement. It becomes close to impossible when you have to develop a strategy that relies almost entirely on implementation by partnes and complementary technologies.

It was at this point that I realized our strongest talents come from some lessons learned in kindergarten.

From a poster in my thrid grade teachers class (go Ms. Chase):
  • Share everything
  • Play fair
  • Don't hit people
  • Clean up your own mess

Sharing, Playing Fair, Not hitting people (or other companies) and cleaning up our own mess are the values that make AMD great (and create a ton of work for me).

So here is why this strategy is causing me so much trouble. I have to figure out how to engage a number of critical partners as part of a cohesive long term strategy. Ever get 10 companies to "share, play fair, not hit each other and clean up the mess"....

So as I work on what could possibly be impossible... I am comforted by the fact that I work in a company full of people that were paying attention in kindergarten. Weren't you?

1 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's easy to get ten companies to do all those things if can bully them. But they'll resent you, and they'll never forget. You can't force people to be your friends.

It's harder to influence ten companies to work well together, but if you can, you'll get a much better result. If you can succeed in making a case where mutual co-operation benefits every company, you'll get everyone working towards the same goals because it benefits them too. Best of all, customers win too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home